- 12 Vacation Days
- 15 Sick Days
- 3 Administrative Leave Days
- Vision Care Reimbursement
- Health and Dental Benefits
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Retirement Plans
- Life Insurance
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- Paid Leave for Annual Military Training
NJDOC is an equal opportunity employer.
Custody and Civilian Recruitment
The Department of Corrections hires employees for both custody and civilian jobs from Civil Service certification lists, which are compiled through testing.
CORRECTION OFFICER RECRUITMENT
The New Jersey State Correction Officer is responsible, during an assigned tour of duty, to ensure the custody, safety and care of criminal offenders confined in State correctional facilities.
- To provide public safety and security through the custody
and management of those individuals incarcerated within the Criminal Justice system.
- To ensure the safety and welfare of the staff and inmate population.
- To assist in the rehabilitative efforts for those incarcerated individuals returning to the
- To promote public support for the operation and objectives of the Department of Corrections.
- Education: High school diploma or its equivalent. Candidates must read and write English sufficiently to perform duties of the position;
- Age: Minimum of 18 years of age;
- Citizenship: Must be a citizen of the United States and a resident of the State of New Jersey. Additionally, institutions located in certain municipalities have residency requirements, which require candidates to provide proof of such residency beginning six months prior to the closing date of written examination for the position;
- License: Candidates will be required to possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license. Candidates for this position must be eligible to possess a firearm in accordance with State and Federal laws;
- Background: Investigation of candidates’ employment history, driving history, domestic violence history, and criminal history are conducted; and
- Medical: Candidates will be given a thorough medical and psychological examination. They must provide urine samples for analysis to determine drug use.
Please review our questionnaire before applying to determine if Corrections Officer is the job for you
Additional Eligibility Requirements
Based on the candidate's score and ranking on the written examination, as well as available vacancies, a candidate will receive notice from the Department of Corrections to report for pre-employment processing, which consists of the following:
Phase 1 & 2 - Completion of employment application, computer background check, written psychological examination, fingerprinting for background investigation and urinalysis testing for drug screening.
Phase 3 - Background investigation that includes personal interviews and visits to your residence and/or place of work.
Phase 4 - When vacancies occur, those candidates who have successfully completed Phases 1,2 and 3 will be notified to report for Phase 4 processing which includes the following: A medical exam (e.g. blood, vision, hearing test, chest x-ray and EKG). An interview conducted by a psychologist based on the written examination completed during Phase 2.
Candidates who pass the previously noted requirements will be appointed as Correction Officer Apprentice and will be required to satisfactorily complete a 14-week, in-residence NJ Police Training Commission course, at the Correctional Staff Training Academy. While in training, candidates will be paid bi-weekly based upon an annual salary of $34,000. Those who successfully complete the training program will be appointed as a correction officer recruit and will serve a one-year working test period. Upon satisfactory completion of the working test period, candidates will be promoted to senior correction officer and serve a four month working test period. The academy training is comprised of three areas of training.
The Physical Education and Self-Defense Program emphasizes physical conditioning which includes running and various strength building exercises.
The Academic portion of the Academy training will include a college level course of studies such as psychological and sociological issues, Language and Communications skills, Criminal Law, Constitutional Issues, Correctional and Police Practice procedures, etc. There will be comprehensive examinations and written assignments.
Firearms Training includes firearms safety and weapon qualifications.
Correction Officer Recruit Salary is $40,000
Senior Correction Officer Salary range is $44,039.00 to $80,395.00
In addition to staffing 13 facilities throughout the state, the following positions are some of the career opportunities available to Senior Correction Officers within the Department of Corrections:
- Central Transportation
- Central Medical
- Ceremonial Teams (Pipe Band/Honor Guard)
- Correction Staff Training Academy
- Critical Incident Negotiation Team
- Custody Recruitment Unit
- Interstate Transportation
- K-9 Unit
- Special Investigation Division
- Special Operations
The Department of Personnel announces the Law Enforcement Examination approximately every two years, at which time applications are available at all Department of Corrections facilities, public libraries, local employment offices and through the internet at Civil Service Commission.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
N.J. Department of Personnel
Entry Level Law Enforcement positions call (609) 292-8668
For Civil Service Job Vacancies
Call (609) 777-0916
For General Information contact
NJ Department of Personnel (609) 292-4144
Department of Corrections
Custody Recruitment Unit (609) 943-5770
A Listing of Government Jobs can be found on the NJ Department of Personnel web site
Civil Service Commission.
Department of Labor Home Page
Visit NJ State Employment Offices and use ALEX
(Automated Labor Exchange)
The mission of the New Jersey Department of Corrections is to ensure that all persons committed to the state correctional institutions are confined with the level of custody necessary to protect the public and are provided with the care, discipline, training and treatment needed to prepare them for reintegration into the community.
NJDOC…Promoting Excellence in Correctional Intervention.